When we go out for drinks with friends, we expect it to take a while for us to get drunk and even longer to get sober, maybe 1 to 2 hours for each.
When we take painkillers for a headache, we expect them to start working in about 20 minutes and that they will last a couple of hours.
For every substance that we put in our body, we have a rough idea of how long it will take to work and how long it will work for.
However, this is only for substances that we know very well and have been integrally linked into our societies for better or for worse.
For newly legalized substances or those not used very often, this can be a bit confusing and there can be a lack of information about them.
Take weed for example, its recent legalization in many states in our union means that many people can enjoy it legally, but most don’t really know how long the effects will last.
If you want to partake but have work the next day, you want to be sure it won’t affect you in the morning, right? In this article, we will explore weed highs and see just how long they last.
How Long Does A Weed High Last?
The effects of weed are different for everyone depending on their tolerance levels and genetics. If your friend has smoked weed before and told you that he felt like he was “high” up until an hour after smoking,
then this is his experience. But if you’ve never tried weed, then you might think that it’s impossible to feel anything from it at all.
One thing that some people may find hard to believe is that cannabis itself doesn’t actually make you feel stoned or high. It makes you feel relaxed and happy.
You could say that it creates euphoria. A person who smokes weed usually knows what they’re doing and knows how much to smoke to achieve the desired effect.
However, if you try to smoke too much, it could leave you feeling tired, anxious, paranoid, etc.
It also depends on what kind of strain you use, whether it’s indica or sativa, and how strong the joint/blunt is.
Some strains of weed come with more THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which will cause a stronger high than others. The higher the amount of THC, the stronger the high.
Cannabis plants produce two types of cannabinoids: Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD helps reduce anxiety and stress, whereas THC causes feelings of relaxation and happiness.
Both of these cannabinoids are found naturally in marijuana plant extracts and provide the psychoactive element that gives users the ‘high’.
More research needs to be done on the health benefits of CBD vs. THC, but as far as getting high goes, both play a role.
How Do You Avoid Getting Too High?
For people who do not have any previous experience with weed, here are some tips on how to prepare yourself for a good high:
- Don’t drink alcohol and eat food before you plan to smoke weed. This way, you’ll avoid being hungry or hungover later.
- Use a vaporizer instead of smoking joints. Vaping allows you to inhale less smoke in one hit, so you will feel less uncomfortable.
- Make sure you know what strain you are using. There are thousands of different strains of weed. Different strains contain varying amounts of THC and CBD. The best way to figure out what type of strain you need is by trying various strains first.
- Have a friend help you roll the joint. Rolling joints properly ensures that no matter how big or small the joint is, you get the same amount of smoke.
- Try not to overdo it. Start low and go slow. You should start off with half of what you normally would smoke.
- Keep track of time. When you first start smoking, you won’t know exactly how long your high will last. So keep track of the time so that you can gauge how long the high lasts.
Basically, play it safe until you know your limits and let people know if you are having trouble. While weed has been legalized in many states, it should be treated like alcohol, in the sense that it can be damaging if you overdo it.
What To Do When You Get Too High?
If you’ve smoked too much weed, then you might want to take some deep breaths before deciding what to do next. The best idea is to sit down and try to calm yourself.
For many, they find that the best solution is to put yourself in a physical or mental space that helps keep them calm.
For some, this is listening to music with friends, for others this is being in bed on their own in a dark room. Just try to find your safe space and have a glass of water with you.
You can also ask for someone else to drive you home. But beware! Some people just love to party all day, so chances are that they’d rather stay up late than sleep. In this case, you might want to call a cab or rent an Uber.
As with drinking too much or working out too much, once your body has had enough it is time to call it a night, so once you are feeling a little better you should head for home.
Feeling a little better should not be considered a rally, however, you should not go back to having more weed. It will just make you feel ten times worse in the end.
Weed has now been legalized in a lot of places and due to this many people are trying it for the first time.
With so many newcomers to this recreational drug, there are going to be a lot of people who have no idea about the effects or what to expect.
As such, they are not going to know much about the length or effect of the high. If you are one of these people, remember it is always better to play it safe, than risk getting yourself hurt.
Thank you for reading!
- How To Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Alabama - July 17, 2022
- How To Get a Medical Marijuana Card in Alaska - July 17, 2022
- How To Get a Medical Marijuana Card in California - July 17, 2022